My job is to be comfortable and offer my breast.
My baby’s job is to breastfeed.
Before my baby is born, I will:
- Talk about breastfeeding with a woman who liked it.
- Watch other women who are breastfeeding.
- Go to a class about breastfeeding or childbirth.
- Tell everyone in my family that I am breastfeeding.
- Find someone to help me with housework for a week after I get home with my new baby.
In the hospital, I will:
- Bring someone to be with me in labor.
- Tell every nurse, doctor and midwife that I will breastfeed.
- Keep my baby skin to skin, next to my heart, as soon as possible after birth.
- Watch my baby find my breast and start breastfeeding.
- Hold my baby close to see my face. Babies love to look at faces.
- Ask for help if I am having trouble breastfeeding.
After my baby is born, I will:
- Keep my baby in my room all the time, so I will see when my baby shows me it is time to breastfeed.
- Hold my baby as much as possible. Babies want to breastfeed when they can feel and smell their mothers.
- Holding my baby skin to skin is best for learning breastfeeding.
- Breastfeed! My baby may want to breastfeed 8 to 15 times in 24 hours. I can keep my new baby from turning yellow if I breastfeed this much.
- Learn how to squeeze milk out of my breast with my hand. Catch it in a spoon and give it to my baby.
- Try breastfeeding standing up.
- Wait 2 weeks before giving my baby any bottles or pacifiers/dummies.
- Refuse any formula samples.
- Ask for help if I have pain or questions during or after breastfeeding
A healthy term baby:
- Wakes up to eat 8 to 15 times in 24 hours
- Poops (breastfed baby’s poop is soft or runny) - Black poop for the first 2 days and Green poop for the next 2 days Yellow poop by 5 to 7 days after birth (3 or more poops a day or one diaper full)
- Pees as many times as poops (baby may pee and poop in same diaper)
- Starts gaining weight after day 4 to 5. Check the naked weight once 2 to 3 days after coming home from the hospital
Sumber : http://www.phila.gov/health/pdfs/MyBreastfeeding_Plan_English.pdf